Skip to main content
CVM TV News (Video)

Auditor General audit raises concerns over Hurricane Melissa recovery spending

Manchester
Skip to transcript

Questions over Jamaica’s post-Hurricane Melissa recovery intensified after the Auditor General’s real-time audit found that some relief resources had not been used months after the storm, even as affected residents, farmers, renters and displaced families were still trying to recover.

The programme reported that the estimated damage from Melissa had been revised to about US$12.2 billion, equal to 56.7 per cent of Jamaica’s 2024 gross domestic product. It also noted that hurricane-related donations and barrel funds remained partly unused, while concerns persisted about documentation, reporting and whether support could be clearly traced to beneficiaries.

CVM said the Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management had again been invited to discuss the findings but declined. The discussion took place days before the start of the 2026 Atlantic hurricane season, while the Meteorological Service had also warned about drought risks linked to El Nino conditions.

Dr Gavin Myers, executive director of National Integrity Action, said the findings pointed to deeper weaknesses in Jamaica’s disaster response machinery. He argued that the absence of key committees and oversight structures was affecting the state’s ability to act quickly and lawfully when emergencies arise.

Janette Calder, executive director of the Jamaica Accountability Meter Portal, said the audit reflected longstanding implementation and governance problems. She noted that the National Disaster Fund reportedly had no functioning committee, no standalone bank account, no audited accounts for two consecutive financial years and only draft guidelines before Melissa struck.

Calder said ODPEM had previously indicated that delays in spending donation funds were linked to authorisation from the Ministry of Finance. She argued that, without the National Disaster Fund committee, decisions on relief spending could not move as intended.

Opposition MP Ian Hayles, in a video highlighted during the programme, said many people in western Jamaica were still without proper roofing, bedding or help for small tourism and shop operators. He said $1.4 billion had been donated, but only $26 million had been spent after seven months.

Both Calder and Myers said the most urgent step before June 1 was to put the required disaster fund committee in place. Calder also questioned whether the National Disaster Response Coordination Plan was ready and suggested ODPEM may need to return under a minister with fewer responsibilities.

Syndicated from CVM TV News (Video) · originally published .

13 languages available

Other coverage

Around Manchester

· powered by OFMOP