Acadia Drive murder trial halted after prosecution dispute, Sangster Airport breach ends in fatal police shooting
Proceedings in the murder trial of six policemen accused over the 2013 deaths of three men on Acadia Drive in St. Andrew ended early on Thursday after defence lawyers objected to a sudden change in who was leading the prosecution’s evidence.
Senior Deputy Director of Public Prosecutions Kathy Pike told the court that, following a decision by the Director of Public Prosecutions, she would continue questioning a government forensic officer who had been giving DNA evidence. Acting Assistant Director of Public Prosecutions Siguel Pennant had started that examination before the lunch break. Defence attorney Hugh Wildman argued that changing counsel midway through the testimony breached common-law procedure. After legal discussions outside the jury’s presence, the matter was adjourned so prosecutors could consult further with the DPP.
Sergeant Samroy Mott, Corporal Donovan Fullerton, and constables Andrew Smith, Sheldon Richards, Orandandy Rose and Richard Lynch are charged with murder in connection with the deaths of Matthew Lee, Mark Allen and Uklift Dyer. The forensic witness said samples from the scene, a T-shirt, and a blue Mitsubishi Outlander produced DNA profiles linked to Dyer, including a stated random-match probability of one in 4 quintillion 285 quadrillion. Her evidence is expected to continue before Justice Sonia Bertram Linton.
In St. James, an American man was fatally shot by police on Friday morning after reportedly breaching security at Sangster International Airport in Montego Bay. He was said to have been seen near the airport’s fuel storage area, allegedly attacked police when they responded, and was later pronounced dead at Cornwall Regional Hospital.
Police in St. Ann arrested five men on Wednesday night after a raid at the Ocho Rios Country Club in Greater Pond, where an Aaros semi-automatic pistol with a magazine was reportedly seized.
In St. Elizabeth, 68-year-old farmer Gordon Luwell Kerr was convicted over a fraudulently obtained driver’s licence. He was fined $100,000 or 30 days in prison on each count after pleading guilty on April 28. The Revenue Protection Department said four other accused persons, Emerson Webb, Fitzroy Young, Steve Clark and Alan Roer, are due in court next month on related fraud matters.
The Independent Commission of Investigations is also reviewing Wednesday’s fatal police shooting of an unidentified man on Princess Street, Kingston. Police said a firearm was seized after an alleged confrontation. At least 133 fatal police shootings have been recorded this year, including 17 so far this month.
Syndicated from Realnews Yt · originally published .
Legal context · powered by Jurifi
Get the legal angle on this story. Pick a prompt and Jurifi's AI will explain it using Jamaican law.
AI replies are based on Jamaican law via Jurifi. Not legal advice.
Other coverage

Jamaica News Today Sunday May 17, 2026 | 3 shot by police in Trelawny | Businessman gunned down
JBN Network (Video)Watch
Children Placed Under Bed During Attack | Machete Attack Suspect Found Dead | Man Cut Down In Kgn
JBN Network (Video)WatchFriendly fire
Jamaica Observer
Major Crash on Toll Road Leaves 41 Injured | Man killed by police | Man charged : Jamaica News Today
JBN Network (Video)Watch
Outrage Over Police Killing Of Woman In Granville, St. James | TVJ All Angles
Television Jamaica (Video)Watch