Skip to main content
Jamaica Star

INDECOM Calls for Witnesses in Fatal Granville Shooting of Latoya Bulgin

St. James
INDECOM Calls for Witnesses in Fatal Granville Shooting of Latoya Bulgin

The Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) is asking anyone with information to step forward while it looks into the police killing of 45-year-old Latoya Bulgin, also known as 'Buju', in Granville, St James.

The shooting took place on Sunday and drew heavy public scrutiny once closed-circuit video of the encounter started making the rounds on social media.

In a release issued Monday, INDECOM said its team attended the scene on its own authority and is now seeking more statements and recordings. It singled out people who were inside the motor vehicle Bulgin was operating when the shooting occurred.

The oversight body noted that mobile-phone and CCTV material has become an important part of how fatal shootings involving the security forces are examined. Such recordings, INDECOM said, can help clarify what civilians and police did in the lead-up to, during, and after deadly confrontations.

At the same time, the commission underlined that every probe must weigh the full picture—written accounts, on-the-ground testimony, and any other evidence gathered.

INDECOM further disclosed that three officers said to have been on crowd-control duty amid a protest when the shooting happened were not wearing body cameras.

With Bulgin's death, fatal shootings by members of the security forces in May now stand at 15. Since January, the commission reports that 130 people have died at the hands of the security forces, one more than the 129 recorded over the same months last year.

Syndicated from Jamaica Star · originally published .

13 languages available

Other coverage

Around St. James

· powered by OFMOP