JFJ expresses ‘grave concern’ over Granville fatal shooting; raises questions about handling of crime scene

KINGSTON, Jamaica — Human rights organisation Jamaicans for Justice (JFJ) is raising questions about the proportionate use of force following the killing of Latoya Bulgin, known as “Buju,” by a member of the Jamaica Constabulary Force in Granville, St James, on Sunday.
In a statement on Monday, JFJ noted it has reviewed the widely circulated videos and CCTV footage of the incident and said while the full facts must be allowed to emerge through a thorough and independent investigation, the preliminary details and footage are deeply concerning and have shocked the conscience of many Jamaicans.
Reiterating that the Use of Force Policy of the Jamaica Constabulary Force, along with binding international standards, require that force be used only as a last resort and in strict accordance with the ‘PLAN’ principles, JFJ said: “Officers are trained to ensure that any use of force is proportional to the threat faced, legal, accountable — meaning officers must be able to explain and justify their actions —and necessary in the circumstances.”
The human rights group continued: “simply, an individual involved in an altercation with officers should not lose their life unless there is an imminent and proportionate threat to life. Critically, the JCF Use of Force Policy is explicit that firearms will not be discharged at a vehicle simply because it has moved.This incident raises serious questions about the proportional use of lethal force and the risk that such actions may be perceived as extrajudicial.”
It noted that a separate and deeply disturbing aspect of this incident is the reported handling of Bulgin’s body after she was shot.
“Videos appear to show officers hauling her body from the vehicle and flinging it into the back of a police van. The JCF’s own Use of Force Policy requires that post-incident procedures include the management and preservation of the scene, and that the evidential trail must not be jeopardised — including the entitlement of INDECOM investigators to assess the scene in the condition in which it was left,” JFJ noted.
It stressed that the manner in which Bulgin’s remains were handled falls short of those obligations, compromises the integrity of the investigation, and fails to uphold the basic dignity owed to every person in death.
“This incident highlights a recurring pattern JFJ has long documented: the gap between initial accounts of fatal encounters and evidence that emerges when independent footage is available,” the organisation said.
JFJ noted that Indecom data shows 130 civilians were shot and killed by security forces in 2026 so far, with 15 fatal shootings in May alone which follows 129 fatal shootings in the corresponding period in 2025 — a year which ultimately recorded 311 fatal police shootings, the highest figure in more than 15 years, adding that the vast majority lacked any independent visual record.
“JFJ has previously welcomed the JCF’s acquisition of 1,000 body-worn cameras as a step toward greater transparency, while noting concerns over deployment criteria. The Granville incident — a patrol presence at a community protest — was precisely the type of high-interaction situation where body-worn cameras should have been used,” it said,
JFJ added that Indecom has confirmed that none of the three officers assigned to crowd control duties at the time of the shooting were equipped with one.
“While JFJ welcomes the swift action by the JCF High Command in placing the involved officer on interdiction, this must be matched by a firm commitment to the full utilisation and consistent deployment of body-worn cameras, especially as Jamaica continues to face an elevated rate of fatal shootings by members of the security forces,” it said
Stressing that accountability cannot rely on the chance presence of third-party footage, the JFJ said body-worn cameras are essential tools that protect both civilians and officers through accurate documentation and their consistent deployment is critical for public confidence.
JFJ also noted that Indecom has begun its investigation and urges a speedy, thorough, and transparent process — including full examination of the shooting, scene management, and body handling — in the interest of justice.
It also extended condolences to the family and loved ones of the deceased who were reportedly travelling in connection with a community protest over the killing of 17-year-old Tjey Edwards — himself fatally shot by members of the security forces one week prior.
Syndicated from Jamaica Observer · originally published .
Legal context · powered by Jurifi
Get the legal angle on this story. Pick a prompt and Jurifi's AI will explain it using Jamaican law.
AI replies are based on Jamaican law via Jurifi. Not legal advice.
Other coverage

Update | Policeman in Granville fatal shooting interdicted
Jamaica Gleaner
INDECOM seeks witnesses after viral police shooting of woman in St James
Jamaica Star
CVM News At Noon: May 18, 2026 | @CVMTVNews
CVM TV News (Video)Watch
Granville Tensions Flare After Fatal Police Shooting | Midday News
Television Jamaica (Video)Watch
Police officer interdicted following fatal shooting in Granville St.James yesterday
Jamaica Inquirer